Flaxseed meal is great for making pizza dough. With the advent of low-carbohydrate diets, this dough is not unsimilar to regular varieties, but the outcome is much tastier. It has a slightly nutty flavor and is lighter in texture:
2 cups flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons natural baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Italian mixed dried herbs
3 large eggs, beaten until smooth
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
½ cup water
- Heat oven to 425 ?F.
- Combine flaxseed meal, sea salt, baking powder, sugar and Italian Herbs together until lump-free.
- Beat together eggs, sunflower oil and water until smooth.
- Pour liquid mixture into flaxseed meal mixture. Blend well until smooth.
- Cover with a tea towel and put in a warm place until doubled in size for about 1 hour.
- Press into desired shape (oblongs are more traditional in Italy for pizza).
- Place on a pre-greased or non-stick pizza pan or sit on a silicon baking mat.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the center of the oven until cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until warm to the touch.
- Add favorite toppings and then return to the oven to bake as with any normal pizza.
Makes 1 medium (12in) pizza base
Tips: Try to use organic ingredients for toppings. Add meat, poultry, fish or a vegetarian protein for a complete meal.
My short bio