This lovely recipe is adapted from the book The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes.
Although this book is NOT grain free, it does have quite a few recipes that do fit into that category.
I’ve had this book for years and it is one of my favorite cookbooks.
This grain free recipe is based loosely on Curried Coconut and Squash Stew, listed on page 87 of the book.
The original recipe calls for jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and hemp milk, which sounds really good.
However, I didn’t have either of those ingredients on hand the evening I made this recipe, so I omitted them and added some beans and sriracha sauce. I changed the amounts of some of the items as well.
One note, I used firm tofu rather than extra firm and that was a mistake, I think.
The tofu did not stay cubed very well, it tended to lose its edges into the stew. While it is not that big a deal, I think I will go with extra firm next time.
Don’t Like Tofu?
If you have kids that don’t like tofu, get the soft, silken tofu and toss it in a blender before adding it to the stew. You still get the protein from the tofu, but it would just thicken the soup, rather than floating around in white chunks. The kids will never know.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves pressed or minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the beans, ginger, garlic, bell pepper, tofu and squash.
- Cook until the squash is tender.
- Add the coconut milk and curry.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, sriracha sauce, salt and pepper.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please feel free to share your favorite curry soup!
If you would like to check out the cookbook, you can click on the photo and see inside the book at Amazon.
This cookbook has a great rating of 4 1/2 stars from 114 folks.